Sign-up for our e-mail list to receive alerts regarding auditions and productions, and watch this page for announcements.
Audition Schedule for the 2013.14 Season
All auditions and rehearsals are at 110-11th Street (between Mulberry and Cherry)
NEXT TO NORMAL
Directed by Brad Dell
Music Direction by Ben Hagen
Performances: Sept. 27 – Oct. 13
First audition dates (you only need to attend one)
Monday, May 13 at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, May 14 at 7 p.m.
Potential callbacks on May 18 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Rehearsals will begin in August; production opens Sept. 27.
Roles available: 4 male, 2 female. Strong voices required; no dance/movement.
Those auditioning should prepare a 1-2 minute cut of a song that it is in the style of the show. Please bring sheet music accompaniment; an accompanist will be provided.
Due to its extraordinary vocal demands, the role of Diana may be double cast.
DAN Diana’s husband. Handsome. Genuine. Constant. Tired.
DIANA Sexy. Sharp. Delusional bipolar depressive.
DR. MADDEN/DR. FINE On the young side of ageless. Assured. A rock star.
GABE Diana’s son. Almost eighteen. Dashing. Gentle. Bright. Playful. Everything a mother, etc.
17-18 yrs old
HENRY Seventeen. Musician, romantic, stoner, slacker, philosopher king.
16-18 yrs old
NATALIE Diana’s daughter. Sixteen and trying to be perfect. It’s not going well.
16-17 yrs old
Thanks again for your interest in progressive, contemporary theater – StageWest style!
1. COMPLETE AN AUDITION FORM
using one of the following options:
- Complete and submit the online audition form at least 48 hours before auditions (this is StageWest’s preferred method of for form submissions)
- Download an audition form and bring it to auditions
- Arrive 20-30 minutes before your audition appointment and fill out the form in person.*
Be sure to include or bring a COMPLETED list of rehearsal conflicts. Decisions, and rehearsal schedules will be based on your announced conflicts. No exceptions.
2. SCHEDULE AN AUDITION APPOINTMENT
- To make an appointment, please contact Bryan Doty no later than two days before the audition dates via phone (515.778.7367) or e-mail.
- First auditions will be scheduled at 15 minutes intervals
- Walk-ins are welcome, however, you will have to wait to audition after the appointments are concluded.
- If you absolutely cannot attend a scheduled audition, contact Bryan Doty. Alternate times are not guaranteed, but we’ll be happy to talk to you about your conflict. We know you have busy schedules and we’re implementing this process to benefit you, the actor.
3. PREPARING FOR THE AUDITION
- Actor auditions are from the script.
- No prepared monologues required.
- Vocalists should bring a prepared song.
- An accompanist will be provided for musical auditions
- Specific scenes are listed above so you will be able to prepare ahead of time.
- Auditions are your opportunity to demonstrate your capabilities to the director in a personal setting – so go for it! We want to maximize the creative opportunity for you and minimize the time you need to spend at first auditions.
4. CHECKING-OUT ADVANCE SCRIPTS
- Scripts will be available at the Civic Center Ticket Office during their regular hours of 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Scripts may be checked out for four days, returned promptly to the ticket office. Short-term ticket office parking is available along the 3rd Street side of the Civic Center.
We have a new building downtown at 110-11th Street (between Mulberry and Cherry). Auditions and rehearsals will be held there.
- All actors will receive a monetary stipend.
- In addition, cast members will receive complimentary season tickets to StageWest.
- All cast & crew are provided free promo and production photos of the show.
OUR GOAL is to provide a welcoming, informative and creative atmosphere during the audition process. Everyone is encouraged to attend, everyone! Casting decisions are based on what you deliver at auditions, appropriateness for the role, compatibility with other casting choices, and your availability to attend rehearsals and performances. You must be available to attend ALL tech week rehearsals and performances.